Saturday, May 31, 2008

A very Special day it was!






I went to go help out at the Special Olympics...it was such a wonderful experience! I felt very lucky to be so close to such a neat event and also be able to help out. But seriously, it was so neat to see how excited the athletes were over their achievements, not only that but what talent I saw! I helped ump the Tee-ball games from around 10am-3pm as well as helped pass out awards. At one point, I was standing there looking at the competitors around me and thought of how how selfish it is of me to ever complain or even think of complaining over simple mindless things. Not only are those competitors struggling with more than I ever had to, but they are in such high spirits and so happy!! Also, they are so nice and encouraging of their teammates as well as the other team. Another reason why I really look up to them is that so many of them came up and just started a conversation with me. I met so many nice people! I wish I had more courage like that. I really came out of that experience looking up to the people I met, to be more grateful and not to be afraid to say hi!
At the end of the games, I helped pass out medals to the winners. We called out each player, one by one. After calling the name of one player, he ran up and started crying he was so happy!! I just about started to cry too!
It was a wonderful and self-evaluating experience. I'm so glad I was able to be the smallest part of it. Also, the other volunteers that came out, especially just the volunteers for motivation support were amazing! Cheering for the athletes seriously made the world to them!

No comments: