Tuesday, January 27, 2009

First Day of Government



Today was a total boost to my teaching confidence! I have been so nervous lately because I feel as though I have little time to plan lessons and I feel I'm never quite ready. I go over my lessons over and over, trying to make changes or make sure my lessons will be 90 mins long.
Today was the first day of the new semester. I officially took over 2 Government classes. These kids are brand new to the class so I had to do my introductory lesson. 
I had them play a name game... which went splendidly! It was hilarious to see them try to remember names. Afterwards, I had them stand in a circle to throw small balls back and forth among their classmates. That activity went even better!
The funny part was when I told the class about myself. Where I am from, what I like to do.. etc. I opened it up for them to ask me anything...
"Ask me anything, guys. I'm an open book!" I said.
"Are you single?!" a senior boy said.

again... in 3rd period... a similar experience

"What questions do you have for me?" I asked
"Do you have a boyfriend!?" another senior boy asked.
The class burst out in laughed on both occasions. I hope I didn't blush with those questions. 

I had the kids write a page long mini-biography. I wanted to know where they are from, where their parents are from, what they like to do, what classes they like/dislike and etc..
I assured them I would be the only one that would read these papers...
I began reading their responses... some were heart-wrenching.
They gave me a new mission to want to help each and every kid on a personal level. Sadly, I begin to forget that I'm not working at the treatment center.... I'm a history teacher. There is only so much I can do without getting into the grey areas of the laws and confidentiality.  It's so sad.
On a lighter note, some of the students' papers were hilarious! I told them to tell me what music they like because I like to incorporate music into the classroom as much as possible. As they wrote, I had music playing. One kid stated.. "I like all music.... but not really what you are playing right now. But hey, I will listen if I can get an A!"
Today was successful and fun. I'm beginning to enjoy this whole teaching thing as I become acquainted with my students. :)

1 comment:

robyn said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.