Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Time will tell...


I saw "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button" tonight. It was exactly what I needed to hear. I have been thinking a lot lately about timing of life events and why people are at certain stages of their lives. I have also been praying for guidance lately. I haven't told anyone about it. As open as I am, there are still some things I keep inside my head. My apologizes for the vague post, but sufficeth to say that I felt the Spirit as I watched this movie. Advice and reassurance came clear to me in an awe inspiring epiphany.
What does time mean? Why do certain things happen at a certain time? Is there perfect timing? Do we wait for the right time? Do we make time for the important things? Why do little details of our lives change the timing of large events?

Benjamin and Daisy were destined to be together since the first time they set eyes on one another. He looked as an 80 year old man and she looked as a mere 6 year old. Yet, they gazed in curiosity time and time again. A bond that could not be ignored.

As time grew, Benjamin and Daisy stayed mere friends but with that undeniable connection. As they became closer in age and through experiences, one night Daisy hoped to change the dynamics of their relationship. After a night of music and laughter, Daisy and Benjamin found themselves alone on an abandoned outdoor stage with traces of beautiful, slow jazz playing in the distance in New Orleans. Daisy danced in the moonlight as Benjamin watched her in awe. Daisy became close to Benjamin in hopes to share a night of romance. Benjamin turned her away. The time was not right.

A few years later, Daisy was in the hospital in France after breaking her leg in a car accident. Benjamin flew to see her in hopes to take care of her and be with her, physically and emotionally. He found her lying in a hospital bed. She was embarrassed being seen in such a weak state; Daisy turned Benjamin away. The time was not right.

In these separated times, Daisy had her experiences with other men and Benjamin had experiences with other women. In each new experience they gained wisdom. Yet, Daisy was never far from Benjamin's thoughts every day. Likewise, every night, Daisy would always whisper "Goodnight Benjamin" regardless of the man she was with.

“We are defined by opportunities, even the ones we miss”

As he began to age younger and she began to age older, they found themselves being pulled together by undeniable and unavoidable chemistry almost by cosmic forces. Finally, the time was right....As they lay on a beach at sunset, Daisy says "I'm glad we didn't end up together when I was 26. I was much to young for you and you were much to old for me"

“Life can only be understood looking backward. It must be lived forward.”

"For what it’s worth, it’s never too late, or in my case too early, to be whoever you want to be. There’s no time limit... start whenever you want... you can change or stay the same. There are no rules to this thing. We can make the best or the worst of it. I hope you make the best of it. I hope you see things that stop you. I hope you feel things that you never felt before. I hope you meet people with a different point of view. I hope you live a life that you’re proud of and if you find that you’re not, I hope you have the strength to start all over again."

One of the hardest things I have had to learn in my life is that I can't control the timing of my life.... but I trust it will be right in my many situations. Whether that pertain to my career, spiritual growth, my family, friends, etc. I will understand it when I look backward.

(By the way, this is my new favorite movie. It includes the last century of American History, psychology of different ages and AMAZINGLY insightful and thought provoking quotes....... you can't get any better than that.)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This post really got to me! (Sorry I have been REALLY behind on checking blogs...) And about the whole "it is never to early or late to change" that you talk about you are right, it takes the "strength" to do it! I can honestly say that I am one of those people that woke up one day and asked myself "Is this really the way I want to live my life for ever?" And of course it wasn't. I had to make a lot of hard decisions, I lost a lot of friends, and had a lot of hard months, but when I look back at the changes I made in my life it was ALL worth it. The concept is right, it takes time, to get to look back in your life, to see why things happened the way they did. But I am very thankful for where my life is now. I couldn't ask for a better husband or child. Everything happens for a reason and it takes time to see those reasons. It might even take longer than the time we have on this earth to really see why somethings happened to us, but just know that there is a much higher power helping us out down here. Don't dwell in the past... look forward to the future... and yes there is always time to change!