
I had a Missionary Moment!
The first one in a LONG time! I was super excited about it and I felt that fluttery, warm feeling in my chest that made the experience so nostalgic from when I was in CA all the time.
I was at the AT&T store looking for a new phone because it was time for a free upgrade. The guy working there, I forgot his name dang it!, was helping me with my options. After much indecisiveness on my part, I finally picked a phone! Yes!
As I was checking out he began to make small talk with me. Where I am from? Where I live now? What did the study.... the usual. At first I assumed he was LDS. He was about my age, clean-cut, but I'm glad I didn't assume anything when I was talking to him!
Finally we got onto the topic of Why did I move here. Normally, I simply say "School." But I felt I should give a little bit more.
"Well in high school I converted to the LDS church and wanted to move up here to see what Utah was like " I said.
"Really? You are LDS? Is your family?" he asked.
"No, just me. I went to a bunch of different churches growing up. My family is every other religion though. I kinda like it. I don't like being around everyone that is the same" I stated
"I have a question, what made you join that church?" he asked intrigued.
"Well....." And I bore my testimony to him.
I haven't born my testimony to a stranger outside of church in YEARS. It was really nice. I felt a boost of energy afterwards. He appreciated what I said. He then said...
"You know I lived in Santa Barbara a few years ago. I have never had so many people try to get me to that church then when I lived in CA. No one tries here, it's weird. I actually had 2 missionaries make an appointment to visit me one day, I just did it to be nice, not really interested. I ended up bailing on them because I forgot about it. I felt pretty bad"
We finished our conversation after much time fixing my new phone. I left without saying much else. Yet, I might stop by again to check some things with my new phone. I'm tempted to invite him to church.... but I'm afraid he thinks I'm interested in him. I guess I can't let those complications stand in my way......
1 comment:
so cool! good for you. i need to be better at looking for those moments.
Post a Comment