Saturday, February 6, 2010

Thick as Thieves


Last weekend my car was broken into. Not like the door was jimmied or anything.... my window was bashed in.
My purse had been hidden under a jacket on the floor of the passenger seat. Apparently the "jacket-over-the-purse" trick doesn't trick any thieves. In fact, maybe it was a dead giveaway.

Now, normally you would expect a girl who's car was broken into to freak out, cry and lose her mind. This is where my luck as a practical, rational woman comes in. I immediately started calling all my credit card and bank companies to get them canceled. I was frustrated with my first attempt... this is a little bit of how it went:
"Hello how can I help you"- Teller
Yes, my purse was stolen so I need to cancel my card right away" Me
"Okay, can I get our information"- Teller
(So we discussed my information for a few minutes as I am stressing about wanting to make a million other calls to cancel other cards)
"Okay ma'am, are you sure you would like to cancel your card"- Teller
"Yes! I do. Is it done? Anything else?? I need to go"- Me
"I see that you are pre-authorized to set up a credit card with us would you be interested in that today"-Teller
"What?!... No! I need to go."- Me
Seriously!!?? My purse was just stolen and he's making offers for a credit card!? Geez!

I realized I would be on hold with my other card companies so I called my sister telling her to call dad over and over until he answers so he could help me cancel another card while I'm on the phone with others. I called the police and made a report.

Long story short, By the end of the night I had all my cards canceled. The guy had managed to buy $60 worth of something and 5 RedBox Dvd's... oh and a trip to 711... must've wanted a victory Slurpee. Jerk.

Despite this whole mess, driving home freezing with no window and my roommates huddled in the back avoiding the glass... I was lucky.

He didn't see my iPod. He didn't take my digital camera and work keys which are normally in there. He didn't get my important paperwork from work which was usually in my purse. He didn't get my brand new Burberry glasses because I happened to be wearing them. He didn't get my cell phone. He didn't get my drivers license which was in my pocket. All I lost was my purse, some random papers and wallet with (now) useless cards and checks, my Burberry glasses case and a couple of gift certificates. And if he HAD taken my Snuggie, SO HELP ME!

When terrible happens, it's amazing how blessed you can feel when people show their love. Lencrafters gave me a FREE new Burberry glasses case, my eyebrow wax guy gave me a FREE filled punch card since mine was stolen, the bank gave me my money back, the bank teller waived some fees for me when creating a new account, my aunt rewrote my (long over-due) Christmas gift check again for me, my dad gave me (much needed) praise "You did everything right", and most of all, my roommates bought me a new purse and wallet the next day.

Right when it happened, I remember thinking "Seriously? Why is this happening?! I just paid my tithing and now this!?" After calming down I realized my thinking errors. I WAS lucky. I really was looked after. Not only that, I felt love from everyone around me. I was reminded that money isn't the importance to pay attention to in this story... it's the amount of kindness from people around me. If that isn't a blessing, I don't know what is.

No comments: