When I help kids make sense of their lives, life makes sense to me
First off, I had a meeting with my teacher licensure cohort group who I will be working with for the next year. I'm pretty excited to be part of a little family. I'm SOOOO NOT looking forward to waking up around at least 6:30am EVERY week day for a whole school year!
So I was watching "Freedom Writers" with Madison, twice actually, and I realized how much I really found my niche in life. I really get most out of helping teens, not only that, but since I love history and seeing other points of view, I actually really like working with multicultural classes. I had seen this movie before about a year ago, but it didn't hit me as hard as it did when I watched it recently. Maybe because I've been working with more youth lately. I cried during the whole dang thing. Since working with troubled teens and volunteering at Horizonte High, I really do love being with kids. So I'm pretty excited to be working with them more and more.
The best part of the movie is when the teacher educates the students on why tolerance is so important. To accept others regardless of their races, gender, etc etc. She gives the example of the Holocaust... which is my favorite subject in my history studies. I kinda realize why now. I'm a history major and psychology minor. I love studying why people did what they did in history, how it effected their surroundings and future. Likewise, I love helping teens realize their important role and how their actions directly affect themselves, others and future world. Also how their poor choices and poor attitudes towards others also have just as strong of an affect.
I see a lot of potential in them.
Saturday, April 12, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
i love this post. i loved that movie too. i cried. and i usually don't cry in movies... or i try to hide it:) i want to watch it again... sleepover? ( p.s. did maddie really stay through the whole thing at watch it?;) ha ha
i think you are going to be a wonderful teacher. i admire you so much and your willingness and capability to help troubled teens. i just think that is so amazing... something to be admired to say the least.
you are beautiful, inside and out. and i think we share the same hope for wanting to make the world a better place through our teaching.
look out world. here we come.
Post a Comment