Friday, September 5, 2008

"Be One"

I was reading the article, "Be One" by President Henry B. Eyring and an interesting thought came to me. The article discusses the need to be in unity with one another. The scripture that seems to focus this article is “Be one; and if ye are not one ye are not mine” (D&C 38:27). He talks about the unity of a family and also among our brothers and sisters.
As I have been looking at politics, laws, and people's attitudes/priorities over the past couple of years, never has there been a sense of division among the world. Democrats and Republicans can't seem to hold a simple conversation anymore without having sincere hatred for the other. There are new laws that allow people to do as they please regardless of what anyone thinks because a sense of community doesn't matter anymore. Also, the media is filled with news or shows about needless drama between people; it seems as though everyone wants to see a good fight.
I understand completely the need for people to want to be different and stand out; it is natural for one to want attention. Yet, when it comes down to desiring a sense of belonging and a community, many people of the world tend to band together to form a niche of hatred towards others or complete narcissism. Unification should be edifying and uplifting, including and welcoming.
President Eyring said in the article "[Satan]...is he who plants the seeds of discord in human hearts in the hope that we might be divided and separate. " It's troubling to see that very evident in our society. Eyring stated, "Our Heavenly Father wants our hearts to be knit together. That union in love is not simply an ideal. It is a necessity."
I've always been a peacemaker. It's just who I am. I hate contention because it stresses me out and I feel that usually it is unnecessary. Even when I am really upset, I usually just remain very quiet and just shut myself off from the world until I can find the best way to handle it for myself. Yet, I am in no way perfect, in fact, I love my quest for improvement. At work, many times the kids complain about having to deal with the consequences of their peers when they did nothing wrong. (i.e. If two kids end up fighting, everyone goes into study hall without talking). They say "You confuse me because you tell me to work on things myself, yet when others mess up, you punish everyone and tell us we are all part of the community". It's a very valid argument. But what I am seeing is that they are working on themselves individually, yet they don't help solve the problems in their community. They don't say anything like "Hey, take a break before you blow up" or "That's not cool". They simply watch and/or even feed into the negativity until a staff actually does something about it. It's the same with the world. People may try to improve themselves but they forget about helping their peers along the way. It's not until Heavenly Father steps in and has to solve every problem when his children should start taking on more responsibility and thinking on their own. If we plan to become great, we need to take the initiative and start practicing. It's like in D&C when Heavenly Father answers "as you see fit"... or in other words.. it's up to you, you are capable of making a good decision. Yes, large decisions should be discussed but there needs to be instances when we are self-governing.
This turned out to be a lot longer than I intended it to be. My thoughts tend to jump like that, so hopefully that wasn't entirely boring.

1 comment:

Madison said...

Go Tub. Save the world one spiritual thought at a time!